Monday, September 20, 2010

Why I Live Where I Live

When I found out that I'd be heading back to Utah for a new job after spending two years in Dallas working as a consultant, I had to think for about two seconds where I wanted to live. And that place was American Fork Canyon. Now, I knew I couldn't live IN the canyon, but I knew that I wanted to live as close to it as possible, for the singletrack goodness associated with AF Canyon and the surrounding trails is not found anywhere else (at least that I have found; Park City takes a close 2nd, but alas, it is still 2nd).

Now, some of you may ask, "Why the obsession with AF Canyon? Motos are allowed up there, horses poop all over the trails, and the singletrack riding can't be THAT great." Sorry, you're wrong. Though problems do arise with AF Canyon having multi-use trails, it is generally not too big of an issue--in fact, I have found that recently, most trail users are trying to be as courteous as possible when coming across other people. There are inevitably some bad apples in the mix, but I figure if we can find a way to all get along, we'll all be happier. (See? I'm not a complete douche all the time).

With all this lovin' I'm throwing at AF Canyon, you'd think that it couldn't get any better. Wrong again. It actually gets much, MUCH better.

Would you like to know what's better than riding in AF Canyon during the summertime? ... ... ...

Riding during Autumn (or Fall if you'd prefer).

There. The cat's out of the bag. Riding up AF Canyon (even road riding!!!) is crap-your-pants deliciously good during September, October, and even sometimes November. The temperatures cool down, the leaves change, and fewer people use the trails. When riding in or around AF Canyon during the Autumn months, a state of nirvana is achieved in which there is no more suffering, all discontent is gone, and a state of pure happiness occurs. (In my nirvana, you CAN be happy--FYI for all those people out there who actually know what nirvana is.)

Many of you may be thinking, "No place can be this great. chickenpig is a loony. (I mean, who calls himself chickenpig for starters?) AF Canyon must have some neat trails, but I'm skeptical of his audacious claims."

Ok, ok, ok. Point taken. For me, seeing is believing, so for all of you skeptics out there not fully comprehending the magnitude of what I am saying, I give you, the golden goodness of what I encountered on my ride this last Saturday.

(As a note, these pictures are taken on the west side of Timpanogos up Grove Creek and from Great Western Trail 151. I will definitely be providing some pictures of the best 13 miles of singletrack in the world--Salamander Flat + AF Overlook + South Fork Little Deer Creek--in the coming weeks, but only if I can bring myself to stop and take a picture.)

Enjoy. And be jealous.

Heading up Grove Creek--changing colors, buff singletrack, can it get any better? Actually, it can. Grove Creek sucks rocks (literally). But the pain is worth it for the views.


Yay. A bridge.


I assume seeing these pictures is like being on ecstasy or some other form of illegal drug.


More yummy goodness.


It was at this point that I prayed to the Tree Gods to take me now, as I knew what their heaven is like. They didn't take me.


A little 360 degree action of where I ventured.


FYI--these pictures are just a smattering of how great the riding up AF Canyon truly is. Get out and ride!

1 comment:

  1. You better not be praying to any Gods to take you anywhere! Otherwise there will be some words spoken...

    ReplyDelete